Flipkart.com
$1.99/mo Web Hosting
Save some Cold, Hard Cash! $7.49/yr domains

Monday, July 11, 2011

Blank screen when I boot from XP installation CD : Resolved issue

Today while working in company I got an issue.
I was trying to do a fresh installation for Windows XP. I inserted the bootable CD and started the computer. Select to ask me boot device and then selected CD/DVD. It asked "press any key to boot from cd" as usual. I pressed a key and "inspecting hardware configuration" appeared.

Unfortunately just a second after that screen turned blank and stayed so. I tried many times and waited a while also. I tried by setting BIOS settings as default and all but nothing helped..
so I googled for almost an hour and got the the issue and fixed it..

It was like..

I had Cent OS 5.6 installed on the hard disk and XP was not able to identify ext4 partition and that partition has MBR. so it was getting hanged or what so ever but it was showing only blank screen when I was trying to install new operating system.

I found that it was working fine with Windows server 2008 or Windows Vista or Windows 7 so what I did, I boot my system from Windows Vista DVD and delete the partition which was containing MBR. and also format the rest of the drives too as I only need to install windows system over linux.. and after deletion.. I just open DVD drive and removed Windows Vista DVD and insert XP CD again.. now when I tried it worked fine..

so it may be issue that XP is too old to identify ext4 partition or any other issue I don't know.. but it got resolved any how.. :-)

Good Luck if anyone is facing the same.. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment